Most of Acadia National Park is located on Mt Desert Island, the second largest island off the east coast of the U.S. The island is famous for its unobstructed mountain views of the ocean, myriad forest walks, challanging rocky climbs, and stunning coastline with crashing surf. Acadia National Park covers about half of the island, guaranteeing preservation and access. Within the park are over 100 miles of hiking trails and nearly 50 miles of old carriage roads great for cycling.
Bar Harbor is the largest village on the island and a hub of restaurants and shops. Southwest Harbor, considerably smaller, is the hub for the "quiet side" of the island.
Local Waterside Hideaways
- Wave Walker Bed and Breakfast, Surry
- Ann's Point Inn, Bass Harbor
- Short histories of Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park.
- Chamber of Commerce website, has local news, downloadable maps, and online guides.
- The official website for Acadia National Park.